Broadly is looking for an editor to join our online editorial team. You’ll provide mentorship to junior members of our staff and contribute to our gender and identity-focused culture and lifestyle coverage. You will be expected to regularly write for the site, as well as commission articles from a diverse and inclusive group of staffers and freelancers. You’ll be well versed in women’s and LGBT issues and culture and have an insatiable drive for breaking stories and finding unique ways to talk about issues swirling around the internet on any given day. You should be able to think creatively about formats, always looking for the best way to tell any given story, and seek opportunities to collaborate with the multi-platform, multimedia and video teams.
Roles and responsibilities
- Deep understanding and consistent story selection and angles in your given beat.
- The editorial quality of the work they edit, including an assessment of style, standards, craft, and ability to develop unique coverage in their beat.
- Recruiting a diverse stable of talented freelancers and ensuring adherence to VICE’s journalistic policies.
- How their coverage performs in terms of influence, engagement, and traffic.
- Ability to be flexible in formats, and a deep understanding of what our audience finds most useful.
- Participation in brainstorming sessions and other creative processes.
- Ability to work effectively with a positive attitude in a team setting.
- 2 + years experience as an editor at a notable publication or high-volume website covering culture, pop culture, and/or entertainment
- Knowledge of the current global media environment and the VICE brand
- Ability to multitask and perform well in dynamic environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with all social media platforms, CMS, and Photoshop
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided. Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable state or local laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.
This post was copied directly from the job listing.