Copied directly from ProPublica’s job listing:
We’re hiring an editor to oversee our efforts to reach audiences and communities. ProPublica has grown enormously in the last few years. We’ve nearly doubled in size and launched all sorts of new initiatives. But our mission hasn’t changed a bit. We do journalism that aims to bring real-world change. This job is all about that — thoughtfully connecting us to the world.
Cultivating and growing our audiences is at the core of our work. You’ll be overseeing more than a half-dozen journalists, including our social team, award-winning engagement reporters and newsletter editor. And you’ll be a leading editorial voice collaborating with others at ProPublica, including our events and outreach teams.
Our work with readers often begins well before we have stories. Our engagement reporters work to cultivate relationships with communities online and by collaborating with the public. We’ve found and reported out big investigations that way.
The work continues once we have stories, using social platforms to maximize the resonance of our journalism. We don’t treat social as simply tools to point people to where the “real” story is. We tell stories right where readers are — on social, in email, in browser extensions and sometimes even live in person — and we show up to answer questions about our work.
Beyond specific stories, you’ll oversee strategies to grow our audience overall: identifying, testing and expanding our efforts to create and sustain relationships with the people who power our reporting and amplify our work.
Here are things that we’ll be looking for:
- You have a passion for accountability journalism and the experience to help us do it better.
- You’re energized by the potential of using crowdsourcing to do revelatory, vital journalism. And you’re excited by the challenge of making tax policy interesting.
- You have a history of leveraging social media platforms to maximize the resonance of journalism.
- You love using data and analytics (you know, actual evidence) to do things better.
- You believe deeply in the power of inclusiveness. You think it’s important to collaborate with communities and your colleagues.
- You’re an order Muppet but can handle a few chaos Muppets.
- You appreciate the occasional spicy back-and-forth.
We know there are great candidates who may not fit into what we’ve described above, or who have skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, in part by better reflecting the people we cover. (Here is a breakdown of our own staff.)
We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. And we are taking steps to meet that commitment. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
If all of this sounds exciting to you, use this form to apply.
This job will be based in New York, is full-time and includes benefits.
Any questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
The deadline for applications is Jan. 13.