Due date: October 15, 2018
Description: The year-long program is intended to prepare and support a journalist of color for a solid career in investigative reporting. The program also provides an opportunity for the fellow’s news outlets to benefit from the fellow’s investigative skill-building. An underlying goal of the program is to increase the range of backgrounds, experiences and interests within the field of investigative journalism, where diverse perspectives are critically important. The fellowship is made possible by the generosity of IRE members.
Who is eligible?
– U.S. journalists of color who want to improve their investigative skills
– Applicants should have at least three years of post-college work experience
– Applicants should be currently working with a supportive news organization or working as a freelance journalist
– Applicants who can propose a well-developed project which would benefit from the training and mentoring the fellow would receive
– Students are not eligible
What would the fellow do?
The fellow would:
– Obtain employer support
– Create an investigative reporting project that benefits his/her community
– Attend an IRE boot camp
– Attend the CAR conference
– Attend the IRE conference
– Receive IRE data services
– Receive a one-year IRE membership
– Initiate contact and work with a mentor network made up of IRE members
– Set up monthly video calls with his/her mentor network for one year, or until the project is complete, whichever comes first, to discuss the project’s progress
The fellow would be encouraged to do the following after the fellowship concludes:
– Serve as part of the mentor network
– Serve on fellowship selection committee
– Renew IRE membership
What does the fellowship provide?
– One-year IRE membership/renewal ($70 value)
– Complimentary IRE 2019 boot camp registration (up to $1,100 value)
– Travel reimbursement for boot camp (up to $1,000)
– Complimentary CAR conference registration ($299 value)
– Complimentary CAR conference hotel nights (up to 3 nights) ($720 value)
– Travel reimbursement for CAR conference (up to $500)
– Complimentary IRE conference registration ($299 value)
– Complimentary IRE conference hotel nights (up to 3 nights) ($750 value)
– Travel reimbursement for IRE conference (up to $500)
– Complimentary IRE Data Services (up to 12 hours) ($1,200 value)
What materials are needed for the application?
– Three work samples
– LinkedIn or resume
– Letter of support from supervisor/management stating the newsroom/management will allow the fellow time to work on the project and time to attend all required IRE trainings included in the fellowship.
This post was copied directly from the online listing.