Gothamist is looking for a Digital Producer who is at ease covering breaking NYC news events well as investigating longer features.
You will be responsible for writing stories for. Some may contain a mix of aggregation and our own reporting to advance the story, while others may emphasize substantive reportage that is influenced by the Gothamist “voice” that makes our aggregation trenchant and entertaining.
As the Digital Producer, you will sift through an ocean of news, discard pro forma filler, and elevate important, insightful, moving, or otherwise noteworthy stories with enriching context and without cliché. They will also be a skeptical observer, dedicated to original thought—funny, but sometimes not. Sometimes, they will pick up the phone, send a raft of emails, or leave the office to bring back something original or unexpected for the story.
They are also open-minded collaborators who are excited about the opportunities that a combined Gothamist/WNYC newsroom can offer in providing a definitive, authentic take on news and life in New York.
Candidates should also be eager to think about how Gothamist continues to serve its audience of New Yorkers who want to be savvy about city issues—and present fresh ideas on how to reach those who might not have realized Gothamist was the resource they needed.
• Writing and reporting 2-4 stories per day (total output dependent on length and depth)
• Willingness to work across different subject areas—news, food, and arts & culture
• Working with editors to develop, pitch new story ideas
• Appearing on WNYC platforms, including news shows, talk shows and podcasts
• Creating content for social media media platforms, newsletters, and other Gothamist & WNYC products
Necessary skills and experience:
• 1-5 years writing and/or reporting for a digital or print publication
• Strong interest in New York City
• Ability to multitask and take direction in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to meet deadlines
• Desire to collaborate and brainstorm
• Fluent understanding of social media platforms for research purposes
• Familiarity with social media best practices
• Basic photo editing skills
• Ability to shoot photographs and videos a plus
If you don’t meet all the bullet points, but think you’d be a great candidate—apply and tell us why!
You should apply for the Digital Producer position through Jobvite with a resume, a letter expressing interest and links to clips.
This post was copied directly from the online listing.