Associate Producer, CBS This Morning
CBS BUSINESS UNIT: CBS News
JOB TYPE: Full-Time Staff
JOB SCHEDULE: Full-Time
JOB LOCATION: New York, NY
CBS was established in 1928, when founder William Paley purchased 16 independent radio stations and christened them the Columbia Broadcast System. Today, with more than 200 television stations and affiliates reaching virtually every home in the United States, CBS’s total network lineup was watched by more than 110 million people a week during the 2017/2018 season. CBS has been the #1 network in primetime for 10 consecutive seasons. The network has the #1 comedy/scripted program, THE BIG BANG THEORY; #1 newsmagazine, 60 MINUTES; #l late night program, THE LATE SHOW WITH STEPHEN COLBERT and #1 daytime drama, THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Its programming arms include CBS Entertainment, CBS News and CBS Sports.
Seeking a smart, creative, and enthusiastic Associate Producer with strong story development and booking skills. This Associate Producer pitches new stories, follows leads, gathers elements (both traditional news gathering and social media mining), books guests for live or tape segments, conducts pre-interviews, and facilitates logistics on a wide variety of stories including breaking news, feature stories, politics, foreign relations, consumer, business, and medical news.
Candidates must have strong editorial skills, as well as highly developed relationship-building skills. The ideal candidate is able to take initiative by making calls and can demonstrate proof of performance on past news stories. This position requires high energy and persistence, as well as an understanding of TV newsgathering and transmission technology. The ability to effectively communicate with affiliates and their newsroom managers, network broadcast managers, and producers in other regions is essential. Candidates must be flexible with travel requirements and changing schedules as the position will, at times, require going to remote locations on short notice where breaking news is unfolding.
- 3+ years producing experience in a professional newsroom
- Must have solid news judgment and experience chasing breaking news.
- Mastery of the broadcast newsgathering process is preferred, basic knowledge is required.
- Field experience is strongly preferred.
- Strong research skills including working with public and private records databases, such as Lexis Nexis, is required.
- Must be an excellent writer with well-developed oral communication skills, especially when working on sensitive stories.
- Must be able to juggle and prioritize multiple stories with different deadlines: short, medium, and long-term.
- Must have the ability to manage ongoing relationships with external contributors, news outlets and other stakeholders.
- Must be a team player with a positive attitude.
- Experience supporting newsgathering teams in the field using solid news judgment and leadership skills is a plus.
- Thrives in high-pressure and time-critical situations.
- Degree in broadcast journalism or related field is preferred.
- Passion for news, journalism, and storytelling is required.
- Must be willing and able to work occasional overnight and/or weekend shifts
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
This post was copied directly from the online listing.