The News Editor also takes a leading role in finding opportunities to grow Long Island audiences and engagement by identifying potentially underserved segments of the community, creating digital content and shaping our strategies.
– Runs day-to-day programming and breaking news coverage
– Oversees web producers and interns
– Closely monitors and analyzes metrics, audience data and other media websites
– Creates compelling multimedia stories and projects
– Works with editors, photographers, videographers and other staff across department lines to coordinate digital coverage
– Represents the digital team in daily and other meetings
– Helps develop and implement strategies to improve site design and usability to grow subscribers
– In time, helps develop and oversee digital projects such as those found at newsday.com/data
– This position requires working one weekend day
Our ideal candidate has:
– Managed a news website, homepage or section front
– Strong news judgment and breaking news experience
– A commitment to a high standard of journalism with a keen attention to detail
– The ability to work quickly, accurately, juggle a variety of tasks and stay calm under pressure
– A track record of creating compelling online content and meeting metrics goals
– Excellent managerial and communication skills
– Solid copy editing and writing skills
– Knowledge of social media, HTML, photo editing, mobile apps and the latest news practices
Experience and qualifications:
– Bachelor’s degree and three to five years of newsroom web producing experience.
– Worked with a web publishing content management system.
– Familiar with Adobe Analytics, Google Analytics or other metrics platforms.
– Reliable transportation to and from Newsday’s suburban Melville office.
-The person in this position needs to occasionally move about the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
-Ability to utilize a computer keyboard, computer monitor, and telephone for prolonged periods of time.
Newsday Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and maintains a drug-free and smoke-free workplace